Disney convert

As an adult I have never been a huge Disney person.  I remember having fun family vacations there as a kid, but when I returned as an adult during college it had lost a bit of the magic for me.  Disney World seemed like a hot crowded place with overpriced, mediocre food.

Having family in Florida had made us more frequent visitors to Disney than we might have been ordinarily.  We visited the Magic Kingdom when my daughter was 15 months old, and again when my children were 3 and 10 months.  While it was fun, it was also hard to enjoy while juggling baby food, nap times, strollers, diaper  bags, etc.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to take my 5 year old daughter to Disney for 3 days with my mom and sister.  Our second day there my mother in law, and 2 sister in laws joined us.  Even my 10 month old niece got in on the fun.

This was by far our best Disney trip ever.  I think 5 year old girls are in the Disney sweet spot.  I, the Disney curmudgeon was converted.  And here's why:

- I left my son and husband at home.  I love them both dearly but only bringing 1 five year old child had its perks.  We didn't need a stroller, or car seat.  My daughter carried her own suitcase and backpack through the airport.  I fit all I needed into a small purse (no diaper bag).  I have never felt so free when traveling with a child.

- There were no nap times to plan around.  While my daughter got cranky at times, overall she was on her best behavior.  As she doesn't nap anymore, we could go where we wanted when we wanted, without having to camp out somewhere in the middle of the day.

- Disney is super kid friendly.  I know this is obvious.  But I had never truly appreciated it until this trip.  Having recently traveled to non kid friendly locations it was fantastic that kids were welcome everywhere.  One night we went to a more upscale restaurant which of course had kids everywhere and a kids menu.  The hotel had kids activities and everything is designed with kids in mind.  Fantastic.

- Best of all I experienced Disney through my daughter's eyes.  The whole trip for me was about making it special for her.  She loved meeting her favorite characters and riding the rides.  She saw her first fireworks show.  She loved the parades.  She loved everything.

So Disney- I will definitely be back.  Thanks for reminding me how much fun it is to be a kid again!



*All opinions are my own.  Nobody paid me anything to say this.

Comments

Popular Posts